Sunday, October 6, 2013

Today is not my Fathers Day


Today is not my Fathers Day. It will never be about me on this day. It is for my father and LeAnn's father. My Father's Days are June 1st and June 2nd, the birthdays of my son and daughter.

We spent a day with LeAnn's father on Saturday. We took the pontoon out on the lake and watched my daughter and her friend walk on the beach we went up to. He smoked a brisket all day while we were on the lake. The brisket was awesome by the way. It is always great to spend time with Nathan and Glenda.

Many of you know that my father passed away in 2003 on March 18th. I try and forget that today is Father's Day. I usually don't celebrate it by doing anything special, much like he did by the way. He was a very unassuming man with a heart of gold. He treated everybody the same, whether they were family, friends or a stranger. He treated them all with respect and courteousness.

My hope is to someday live my life as close to the way he did as possible. I know it is very unlikely that I will ever live up to his standards but I will always strive to do it. He accepted me for being me and all my mistakes were part of that. He never missed a chance to say he loved me and I will forever be grateful for that. It taught me to always let people you love and care about know how you feel about them.

I miss him terribly and will probably never get over the loss but I know he would want me to.
Therefore I live each day with him in my heart and thoughts. I can count the number of days I have gone without mentioning him on one hand. He is the reason I am who I am. He was a great husband, a great father, a great uncle, a great friend and most of all a great man.

There are more blogs I have written about my father. Read them if you haven't please.

My Father's Connection to History

In Memory of My Father

No comments:

Post a Comment