Sunday, October 6, 2013

Happy Birthday Dad!!

Bud and Bess Glover, 1921
My father would have been 82 on September 28th. He was born in DeLeon, Texas to Bud and Bess Glover in 1931. He had two older brothers, Buddy and BJ. His father served in World War I and was gassed by the Germans and had problems with his lungs from then on. Buddy served with the Navy during World War II as a pilot of landing craft in the Pacific Theater of operations. BJ served in Germany at the end of World War II and after 13 years left the Army and enlisted in the Air force. He would serve in the Air Force for 12 years, most during the Vietnam War.

My father served in the Navy during the Korean War aboard a minesweeper. While in the service he noticed how much fun the barber had with the men as he was cutting their hair and became a barber when he was discharged.

He met my mother and after a short courtship they were married in 1955. I am the oldest of their children and I have a brother, Jeff, and a  sister, Lisa. My mother worked for Sears and retired from them when my sister was born. So they raised us on a Barber's pay and we never needed anything other than what they provided.

He worked as a barber for nearly 40 years in Irving at Cliff's Barber Shop. This November marks the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy's assassination in Dallas. My father had cut Oswald's hair before that day and was interviewed multiple times by FBI agents after that day. When he was interviewed by the newspapers in Irving and DeLeon, when he moved back to his hometown, he never mentioned that fact.

He was a devoted husband and father and worked 6 days a week to provide for us. He would get one week a year for vacation and he would always want to get back to work by that Saturday. He just couldn't pass up his biggest day of business. They took us camping most of the time and took us to the Capitol in Austin once. He was a great grandfather to our kids and always watched movies in his room with my son when we visited.

He knew everyone in Irving and DeLeon and talked with them all. I find myself doing that from time to time now. I was shy as a kid but as I grow older I seem to be more talkative to people like he was. My number one goal in life is for people to think of me what they thought of my dad.

We lost him 10 years ago this passed March to cancer and not a day goes by that I don't think of him. I think of him when I watch football, when I watch a John Wayne movie, when I hear some old country music, when I cut my hair, etc. I can never really get over losing him but am able to get up every morning go to work because of the examples he set. I try and be as good a husband for LeAnn and as good a father to BriAnne and Harrison. I thank you for all you taught me Dad and for all the love you showed me even though I went through a rough patch. I hope I make you proud.

Love and miss you Daddy. I am proud to have your name and hope you are proud of what I have become.

1 comment:

  1. {{{hugs}}} I feel the same way about my Dad. He was a WWII Vet. and I miss him more than words can describe! They say it will get easier, but I don't see that happening. I know he'd be proud of you. We all are!
    ~Cindy Lou' (somewhere else in Texas)

    ReplyDelete