Sunday, October 6, 2013

I discovered when the Glovers immigrated to America


Today doing a little research on my family tree I  discovered when the Glovers immigrated to America.

I knew they weren't on the Mayflower and that he was here before 1637 because he was married in Virginia in 1637 to Mary Booker. So I did a search for passenger lists from ships between the Mayflower in 1620 to 1637 and found a great resource at http://www.packrat-pro.com/ships/shiplist.htm. I found record of a passenger list from a ship called the Assurance that left London, England on July 24, 1635.

On that list I found a Richard Glover age 24, which from the information I have on him would be about right for him in 1635. He was born in Yelden, Befordshire, England on May 10, 1611. He would live a long life for those days. He was aboard a ship in Sulawesi Tengah, Indonesia that was lost at sea in 1684.

I cannot express how much this discovery has meant to me. I only wish I could have found this information while my parents were still alive. I can't guarantee you will find similar stories about your ancestors buy I know you will enjoy what you do find out. I use archives.com for my research and have had pretty good luck with it. It is only $49 a year and is cheap compared to the more expensive websites online.

Good luck and good hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment