Sunday, October 6, 2013

Ancestors records of military service

My grandfather PaBud's registration card from 1917
I never had the chance to meet him. He passed away
3 years before I was born. I have a 48 star flag that covered
his coffin. One of my most prized possessions.


My Grand Dad's registration card from 1917. He walked across Europe with frost bite so bad
he could hardly walk after the war. He also suffered from PTS occasionally. He passed away just
before my 10th birthday.

Besides these great Americans, my father and his two brothers all served in the Military. The oldest, Buddy, piloted landing craft in Italy and then in the Pacific theater during World War II. BJ served in the Army during the end of World War II and then with the Air Force during Korea and Vietnam. My father was in the Navy during the Korean War. 

Though they all came back home some were never the same. Buddy was always on edge and when there was a loud noise he would just go back to his days in the service. BJ was so ashamed of the way the American people treated Vietnam vets that he chose to live in Europe during the best years of his life. My father was blessed to return pretty much like he was when he went in. 

Friends of mine in the neighborhood I grew up in served in Vietnam and some paid the ultimate price. Some were disabled but made it home. I honor their sacrifice and their family's sacrifice by fighting to keep our country the way our Founders wanted it to be. We all should consider our self BLESSED to live in this country where we have the liberty and freedoms that they fought and died for. 

This weekend take a minute and say a prayer or just have a minute of silence for those that paid the ultimate sacrifice if not to make us the country we are today but to help spread the freedom that we enjoy today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment