Sunday, October 6, 2013

The month of my mother

Memories of my mom cover every type of activity I was involved with in my early life. Some good, some not so good. She was our protector, doctor, teacher, coach, cook but most of all she was an example. She rushed to our defense when we needed it, she took care of our cuts and bruises, she taught us how to waltz in the living room, she taught us how to catch and throw a baseball and football and she made the best meals next to her own Mother's food.

She fished better than most everyone I have ever met. She would always catch the biggest catfish. She lived for Tiger, Longhorn and Cowboy football games. No one was brave enough to sit next to her on the couch. There are pictures somewhere of her watching the Cotton Bowl game in 1970 all alone in the living room. She would almost be sick after a loss. Every sport that means anything to me today I owe to her.

Another thing she loved was music. When she was younger she sang in church with two of her cousins. She loved the 50's groups and her favorite all time was Marty Robbins. She would always watch him perform waiting for him to crack up and marvel at how he would not lose his place in the song he was singing. I have more to say about my mother but will leave them for a later blog. I will post of few of the songs I remember her liking to end this blog.










No comments:

Post a Comment