Saturday, October 5, 2013

Military Service from Revolution to Viet Nam


Military Service from Revolution to Viet Nam
     


      Many of you know that I have been working on my Glover family tree for about 15 years now. Today I have been thinking about why my family is in America. I have written here about Robert Glover and how he was executed as a  religious heretic during the reign of "BloodyMary. Within another 100 years the Glover family had immigrated to Virginia in America after fleeing England for Holland. I have yet to find the year or which they immigrated but happened about 20 years after the Mayflower. They had to run away from their home due to religious persecution and found a home where they could practice whatever faith they had.
      After they immigrated to Virginia during the next century they started moving South, first to North Carolina where William Glover was Governor before the Revolutionary War. One of his sons, Joseph, was a Colonel in the South Carolina Militia during the American Revolution. Also during the war Louis Lestarjette acted as an interpreter for Benjamin Franklin in France in later 1776 and the first few months of 1777.
       After the Revolutionary War Col. Joseph Glover's grandson, Sanders II, married Sophia Lestarjette, Louis' daughter, and migrated to Tallapoosa,Alabama. When the Civil War broke out he was acting as armament officer for the Confederacy where his job was to keep the forces armed. He died as a result of a battle in Henrico County,Virginia in 1862. His children moved first to New Orleans where my grandfather Bud Marion Glover was born in 1894 and then finally to Texas where my father was born in 1931.
My father, Bert Glover, 1949
                Both of my Grandfathers served in World War I in Europe and one of them suffered mustard gas poisoning but survived for another 40 years and one of them suffered from Shell Shock and frost bite. My dad served in the Navy during the Korean War but on a minesweeper in the Mediterranean. His oldest brother piloted a Higgins Boat in the Pacific Theater of war. He was present during Iwo Jima and Guadacanal. His other brother started serving in the Army during the police action in Germany after the War and served 12 years in the Army there. When Viet Nam was ramping up he left the Army and signed up with the Air Force and served 11 more years.
               All in all it's a pretty distinguished line of Glovers I can call my ancestors. From religious martyrs in England, Revolutionary War patriots, CSA commanders and veterans of WWI, WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. I am honored to call them my family and can't wait to find out when and where exactly my family immigrated to the new world about 500 years ago. My hope is as you read this you get curious about your own family and begin the rewarding experience of researching your tree. Let me warn you that it is very addicting.
               




This picture is of my Great Grandparents Butler Osborne Glover and Hassey on their wedding day in 1875.








This one is of my Grandparents Bud and Bess Glover on their wedding day in 1921.

No comments:

Post a Comment